Sunday, May 27, 2018

Update on my life

So, I haven't written for awhile. Life is busy and I just forgot I guess..I am sorry.
Anyway I graduated from high school May 2017. I had a summer of relaxation with some work here and there. Last August I went to Oregon for a program called ARISE, based on evangelism and learning doctrine in a new light. It lasted three months. Initially, I have to admit, I was apprehensive about going. But from the very first I felt welcomed. The people there were really amazing, the food and accommodations were great, and the nature and scenery on the campus there was beautiful. But the most amazing part was learning about how much God loves me, and how to be vulnerable and open with other people.
Part of the program was largely focused on classes where we learned all sorts of things. There were doctrinal based classes, classes based on how to do evangelism, classes on things like health or how to deal with homosexuality. Two of the classes really stand out to me. The first was about the crucifixion. It's amazing what Jesus did for us. The explanation was done so beautifully that for the first time I was almost crying-certainly I felt like it-and others in the class felt the same way. It was maybe the first time I really understood Jesus' sacrifice for us. Even though I grew up hearing this all my life, it never really sunk in until now.
The second class I was awed by was the class on the second coming. It was so beautiful to think about Jesus coming back to get us someday. Someday soon we won't have to deal with heartache and pain anymore. Someday soon all the diseases will be gone. I know I personally have a cousin with Rett Syndrome, which is heartbreaking and horrible, but it is our reality. She is a beautiful smiling girl with an amazing smile, and so strong in spite of all she goes through. She cannot walk, she cannot talk, she cannot use her hands, and sometimes she has some trouble eating. Her fingers from lack of use are curled permanently. She has seizures and needs help with basic tasks every day. It breaks my heart to see her suffer.
But someday no one will have to suffer. I won't have to wear glasses. No one will have to worry about bites and stings. The animals won't be afraid of us. Children and babies won't die too young. Everyone will have enough to eat. Cuts and bruises will never hurt us again. The best part is that no one will want to hurt anyone else ever again. We all will have seen how much pain sin has brought and we will all voluntarily abhor sin and everything that comes with it. We will all think about others more than ourselves and consequently will all be perfectly content.
I can't wait for the day when we realize how much Jesus has done for us and we will want to always be like Him, always serving others before ourselves. When that happens, Jesus will come back. When everyone in the world has made a decision one way or the other, Jesus will return soon after that, and we will get to go home with Him if we so choose. Heaven will be so beautiful. Not just because of the plants or the food or the animals. The most amazing part of heaven will be the relational aspect of it. When we all live in perfect harmony and love for one another and our maker. Heaven is less of a place than it is an idea. We can start preparing for heaven right here and now.
At ARISE I felt a little heaven on earth in my heart. We were eating a tasty, healthy, mostly vegan diet. We were surrounded by beautiful scenery. We went to several waterfalls while there, two lakes, and the ocean. Oregon is a beautiful state, one of my favorites. We also went hiking sometimes. Fall in Oregon is a gorgeous season. But the people were the best part. Everyone was so welcoming to me and my personality. I made the most amazing friends there because even though we were living in a dorm and saw each other's craziness all the time, they still loved me. Even the teachers there who had never met me before, were so happy I was there.
ARISE was the best experience of my life hands down. Even in writing I can't explain how amazing, wonderful and beautiful it was. You will just have to go there yourself. I promise you won't regret it. If you want a better relationship with God and others, this is just the thing for you. You might have to pay some money, but it will be totally worth it. If you would like to find out more about this amazing program, you can find out about it at willyouarise.com. If you don't want to leave home there is also an online program which is somewhat cheaper. Either way, go apply. You won't be sorry. The next set of students will be heading there on August 21. Become apart of our ARISE family.
I am not trying to pressure anyone to be a Christian or follow Jesus, but at least check this out. Your perception of God could have a dramatic and beautiful shift. I hope to meet you someday, maybe in Oregon, maybe in heaven.
Have a good week, Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment